Ivan


Hey, Jay.

I like your Ivan drawing. I hope you don't mind, I took it into photoshop and drew over it. It started out with me just wanting to see how the bottle would fit into the dudes hand. In the end I ended up drawing the whole guy though. And actually I'm not sure if i'm even happy with the way the hand turned out. I drew that hand half a dozen times atleast. I was trying to give it a little more foreshortening, so the angle wouldn't look so awkward. Also the two exposed halves of the bottle, on the original, don't seem to line up. Something to keep in mind when drawing someone holding any object. It helps to start by ruffing in the whole shape and then drawing the hand around it.

Oh and another place the "draw though" would be on the coats bottom edge. You're guy either has it tucked into his pants or it has a big hole in it ; )

A few other key differences you'll notice between our drawings are in the shoulders and the dudes crotch. I just took what you had an added some underlying structure to it. Broadened the shoulders, bent the knees...

Anyway, i think your concept is really good! Don't take this post as me saying this is how you should have done it, I was just exploring and playing around. My drawing shows no more development to that character, just stylistic changes. Your original drawing gives this guy all the real personality and details.

keep it up! can't wait to see more.