Highly Stylizied

This month I would like to try my hand at doing some outer space/alien planet designs along with the 3 space adventurers that keep space a safe place. Adventures along the lines of the old Flash Gordon comic strips.The characters consist of

1- The brains of the group
2- The brawn and
3- The Beauty.

The personalities of these characters are up to you, but the catch is that I want the design to have either an old 1950's retro style or a highly stylized look to them as well as their environment.

I'm hoping this is a good way to better explore shape , color and texture and do so in a more loose way. Especially for the backgrounds/environment. I would look to UPA cartoons and maybe Tim Biskup. Lynne Naylor might have some stuff but defiantly UPA for a more abstract looking design approach.

Hope this is enough info to get everyone started and keep everyone interested enough to explore alternative designs based on this theme.